Friday, November 6, 2009

2010 Olympics are Coming Soon! Visiting Eric Hamber High School

There is a lot about the 2010 Olympics that is going to be a hassle for us Vancouverites and scandal always abounds at the administrative level of the Olympics but, as an Olympian, I can’t help but think having the Olympics here is a great thing. Most of the choices I made in my life from 15 to 34 were dictated by my adulation of the Olympic ideal and now kids here will have the chance to have this event lend a positive influence to their lives.

I led some workshops yesterday at Eric Hamber Secondary School. They have a dragon boat team and the paddlers there helped me out. We talked about goals and my Olympic and dragon boat experiences. One of their paddlers, Anthony, talked about his experiences at the dragon boat Worlds this summer. It was much more fun than I thought it was going to be! The kids were great. Speaking to them reminded me of some games that I played at my Olympics plus some others:

1. Name that flag. Flags are everywhere. Every balcony in the Olympic village will have the occupants’ flag hanging outside. Learn your flags and geography by identifying all the flags. Plotting to steal Olympic flags is always fun but carrying through is not often fruitful.

2. Guess the sport. Olympians are seen as physique ideals but the reality is that, in true form, we are a bit odd looking. Looking around the Olympic Village in Athens and guessing the athlete’s sport was fun and usually not that hard. Volleyball players are tall and skinny, rowers are tall but not as skinny, swimmers have broad bony shoulders, track sprinters have insanely large calves and thighs with skinny looking knees in comparison, distance runners are so light they look like they should blow away, sailors look like normal people. Kayakers have pencil thin legs and massive upper bodies – but of course I knew them.

3. Pretend you’re Dutch and visit Heineken House. This is the Dutch party-central location which I believe will be located near the speed skating oval in Richmond. If anything like in Athens, it is definitely worth trying to sneak in. In Athens I could get in with my athlete accreditation but my sisters dressed in orange (one an orange cooking apron I’d somehow ended up with my previous night there). It worked! If anyone wants to borrow my apron, let me know!

4. Pin trading/giving: I’m not a big trader but lots of people are. Having some Canadian pins in your pocket is an awesome way to start a conversation.

5. Meet people. Olympians love to meet the locals. Olympians' parents, even more so! Be friendly and you will make a lasting impression on their Olympic experience as well as your own.

6. Challenge yourself to put aside your normal activities and stressors and soak in the experience – after all, you may not really have much of a choice so you may as well enjoy it!!

That’s my plan for the 2010 Olympics! The Games made me what I am and now it’s the turn of other athletes and youngsters. Thanks to the kids at Eric Hamber for making me excited again!

No comments:

Post a Comment