Wednesday, October 14, 2009

World Outrigger Sprint Trials and Nationals

Last weekend was a big one for Canadian outrigger sprinting with trials for 2010 Worlds on Saturday and our inaugural National Championships on Sunday. As the National Coach, my job is to select the teams. One main challenge was to set up trials in a way that gave the most head-to-head racing and clear information to establish a ranking. This is complicated by all the age-classes, winds and tides. I feel that I obtained good information to fairly select the teams, which I have now done. This isn't the kind of coaching role where I actually have lots of hands-on time with the paddlers - it is more of a facilitator position in which my long-time paddling and team selection background is utilized to select teams and then I will coach some pre-event clinics and provide event assistance as requested. Some paddlers will use me more than others depending on their wishes. Now I wait to see who accepts their positions and shuffle the crews to fill declined spots. I am hoping lots of people will go as our depth of talent is great. A trip to New Caledonia is far and expensive but racing in Polynesia in a sport dominated by that region is a chance of a lifetime - a chance to step it up against the best.

On an Kamini-as-a-paddler note, I am really excited for the quality of my V-6 crews (open and masters). The crews were selected on OC-1 racing and our depth is really strong - I wish we could have teams of 8!! I also have V-1 entries in Open and Masters so will now have to put in a serious winter of learning to paddle without a rudder.....perhaps I will have to learn to paddle with my head up :)



Results for both events can be found at: http://www.canadianoutrigger.com/results.cfm



Pictures are at: http://lethalweaponphoto.com/Dragonboat

No comments:

Post a Comment